Lentils contain B vitamins and are high in fibre. Vegetables are also high in fibre and a range of nutrients which can help you to feel better.
Walnuts are some of the best nuts you can eat as they are high in tryptophan, zinc, and selenium and can help to lower your risk of depression.
Lentil Broccoli Bolognese
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 a cup of celery, diced
- 1/2 a cup of carrots, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup of button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups of tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of oregano
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon of thyme
- 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
- 3/4 of a cup of brown or green lentils
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of sugar or chopped dates
- 1/2 a cup of parsley, chopped
- 3 cups of broccoli, or kale, or cauliflower
- Saute the carrots, onion, celery, garlic, and mushrooms in a wide pot and add some oil on a medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- When the vegetables begin to soften, add 1/2 a cup of water and stir well.
- Add the tomatoes, stir and cover. Cook for 5-6 minutes on a medium heat until the tomatoes begin to break down.
- Now add the tomato paste, 2 cups of water, oregano, thyme, and lentils. Bring to a boil and cover. Simmer on a low heat and cook for 20 minutes or until the lentils have softened
- Now add the sugar or dates, salt, parsley, and basil. Stir and add the walnuts. Stir again and turn the heat off.
- Serve over some pasta with sauteed or steamed vegetables and enjoy.
We offer mental health support for Selby, Brayton and the surrounding areas. Why not give us a call? Our phone line is open from 7 pm – 10 pm, 365 days of the year.
Call us on (01757) 642 399. If you call before our phone lines are open and we cannot answer you will be diverted to an NHS Helpline.
Interested in helping those who are struggling with their mental health? We offer Mental Health First Aid training in Selby. Contact us at email@example.com