If you’re worried about another person’s mental health, you may have considered asking them for help. Whether this person is a family member, a friend, or someone you work with, there are different ways that you can offer support.
We offer mental health support for Selby and the surrounding areas. Why not give us a call? Our phone line is open from 7 pm – 10 pm on weekdays and all day Saturday and Sunday. Call us on (01757) 642 399. If you call before our phone lines are open and we cannot answer, you will be diverted to an NHS Helpline.
How To Tell If Someone Needs Help
It can occasionally be obvious that someone needs help with mental health. However, there are times when symptoms might not be so apparent.
You don’t have to know if they have a diagnosis yet. You just need to be sensitive in your response to someone who could be struggling.
If you know this person quite well you might notice a few changes in their mood or behaviour.
How You Can Help
One of the first things you can do is talk. Ask your friend how they’re feeling but try not to make any guesses or assumptions
- Let them lead the way. Don’t pressure them to tell you anything. Talking to others can be hard so be kind. You could be the first person they’ve opened up to.
- Talk about them eating a healthy diet, taking exercise, or even having a mini holiday. Sometimes these things can help by reducing stress levels which might be quite high right now.
- Listen to what they are saying. Repeat it back to them so they know they’ve been heard. You don’t need to agree with what they’re saying, but repeating what they’ve said can show them you understand.
- Offer to help them. You could suggest going to their GP’s appointment with them.
- Try not to control them, no matter how concerned you are. It’s important that you let this person make their own decisions.
- If you think someone is in danger or their problem is very serious you should call NHS 111 or a GP as soon as possible. This can help them to get the care they need.
We offer mental health support for Selby and the surrounding areas. Why not give us a call? Our phone line is open from 7 pm – 10 pm on weekdays and all day Saturday and Sunday.
Call us on (01757) 642 399. If you call before our phone lines are open and we cannot answer, you will be diverted to an NHS Helpline.
Interested in helping those who are struggling with their mental health? We offer Mental Health First Aid training in Selby. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org