This delicious recipe is ideal if you want to boost your mood and enjoy a bit of a treat.
Chocolate is thought to boost your mood thanks to the naturally-occurring neurochemicals it contains. With the ability to boost serotonin levels, a little bit of chocolate can help to lift your mood.
Courgette contains high levels of magnesium, which can help to ease symptoms of depression while regulating your mood. Enjoying some courgette now and again can help you to feel better.
- 8 tablespoons of butter
- 4 ounces of chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 cup of plain wholemeal flour
- 1/4 of a teaspoon of salt
- 3/4 of a cup of chocolate chips
- 1 cup of shredded courgette
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3rds of a cup of chopped toasted pecans (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 180 Celsius. Line a square 8 inch baking pan with some foil or baking paper. Ensure the foil or baking paper overhangs the sides of the pan.
- Melt the butter in a pan on a medium low heat. Once the butter has melted, add the salt and sugar and stir until the ingredients have combined well.
- Now add the courgette and vanilla extract and stir well. Take the eggs and add one at a time, stirring vigorously.
- Add the flour and fold it in until it’s almost completely mixed in. Add the chocolate chips and the pecans if you’re using them. Stir until they are almost completely mixed in.
- Pour the mixture into the baking pan and spread evenly.
- Bake in your oven for about 30 minutes or until the middle is firm. Allow to cool completely and lift out the pan before cutting into 16 squares.
We offer mental health support for Selby and the surrounding areas. Why not give us a call? Our phone line is open from 7 pm – 10 pm on weekdays and all day Saturday and Sunday.
Call us on (01757) 642 399. If you call before our phone lines are open and we cannot answer, you will be diverted to an NHS Helpline.
Interested in helping those who are struggling with their mental health? We offer Mental Health First Aid training in Selby. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org